Do I need to file both W-2 & 1099-MISC Forms?
817 views | Last modified 11/25/2022 5:06:28 AM EST | Added by ExpressEfile Team

Applicable To
Form 941 Form 1099 / W-2 Form 2290

It totally depends on the type of workforce you’ve employed.

If you have one or more full-time employees and you’re paying wages regularly and withheld taxes from their paychecks, you must file Form W2 for them. The deadline to file Form W-2 and send employee copies is January 31st. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, you can file Form W2 online and send copies by the next business day.

Also, if you have independent contractors working for you and you have paid more than $600 as wages, you have to file Form 1099 for them. In this case, if you have paid the nonemployee compensation (payments for the services performed) to them, you have to file Form 1099-NEC (introduced from the 2020 tax year). However, if you have paid any miscellaneous payments, you have to file Form 1099-MISC for them. Note that if you have made both nonemployee compensation and miscellaneous payments, you’ll have to file both Form 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC. Also, you should send copies of these forms to your recipients. 

Now, if you have both regular employees and independent contractors working for you, you’ll have to file W2 and 1099-MISC.

You can file Form W-2, Form 1099-MISC, and Form 1099-NEC through ExpressEfile.

Was this helpful? Yes No

E-File Form W-2, 1099-NEC/MISC, 940, 941, 941-X & 2290
using ExpressEfile

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us